News and Events Around the County
• There will be a Fish Fry fundraiser on Saturday, August 23 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Piggly-Wiggly parking lot in Pittsboro. Choose between a fish plate with fish, coleslaw, baked beans, bread, desert and drink; or Hot Dog plate with 2 hot dogs, desert and drink (cole slaw, chili, onions), to raise funds for 2 homeless ladies, one with 3 kids and the other on dialysis, sponsored by Austin Community Inc. (non-profit).
• Routh’s Grocery in Bennett will host a Cruz-In, downtown Bennett on Saturday, August 23 from 4 to 7 p.m. There will be a 50/50 Raffle, Food, 50s and 60s Music. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed. Look for this event a 3796 Chatham Street. Call 336-581-3465 with your questions.
• The Kayser Roth reunion will be held at the home of Joyce Suttles, 18 Nooe Street in Pittsboro, Saturday, August 23 at 2 p.m. R.S.V.P. to 919-837-5984 or 919-542-5770 no later than Wednesday, if you plan to attend.
• Join the Council on Aging Travelers as we visit the Blue Bird Hill Lavender Farm on Friday September 5. We will leave thePittsboroSeniorCenter(365 Highway 87 N) at 9:15 and return by 3 p.m. Trip includes farm tour and cooking demonstration. To register, contact Allison Andrews at (919) 542-4512.
• Sharing our Stories Grief Support Group in Pittsboro, for anyone who has experienced a loss, Thursdays, September 4 – October 23, 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the UNC Hospice Office. 480 Hillsboro Street, ChathamMill Bldg. To register, contact Ann Ritter, UNC Hospice, 919-542-5545, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Council on Aging’s next Diabetic Support Group meeting is August 26 at 2 p.m. at thePittsboroSeniorCenter(365 Highway 87N). For more information, contact Brett Moraes at (919) 542-4512.
• Sharing our Stories Grief Support Group in Pittsboro, for anyone who has experiences a loss, Thursdays, September 19 – November 7, 1:30 – 3 p.m., held at Fearrington Cares, 2020 FearringtonVillageCenter, Pittsboro. To register, contact Rebecca Frederick, 919-428-1739, Rebecca.Frederick@unchealth.unc.edu.
• The Council on Aging’s Hiking Club is gearing up for the fall season. The first hike is scheduled for Thursday September 4 at theJordanLakeEducationalStateForest(easy level). If you want to carpool, meet at thePittsboroSeniorCenterat 1:30 p.m. or meet us there at 2. Call Lindsay Hickling to register so we know who to expect at (919) 542-4512.