News and Events Around the County
• Saturday, September 6 Ceremony at 3 p.m. to celebrate the dedication of Chatham County’s First Responder’s Memorial. This Memorial, incorporating a 19 ft. steel beam from theWorldTradeCenter, is an everlasting monument to remember those who gave their lives on September 11, 2001, and to honor those who dedicate and sacrifice their lives daily for the security and safety of others. It is located at129 Sanford Hwy, Pittsboro (south of the circle, across from Pittsboro Fire Station. Bring your folding lawn chair.
• Legal Aid Know-Your-Rights Workshop, a Do-It-Yourself Custody Workshop will be held Tuesday, September 9 at 2:30 p.m. at Legal Aid of NC,959 East Street, Suite A&B, Pittsboro. Attendance is open to the public at no cost. You may need to consult with a private attorney if you require further assistance. To reserve a space or for more information, call 919-542-0475 or 1-800-672-5834.
• Horton High School Alumni Association will meet Saturday, September 13,at 10 a.m. at HortonMiddle School,. Suite 318, Pittsboro
• Friends of CORA Garden is a garden inChathamCountythat raises produce for the CORA Food Pantry. We are conducting a fundraiser to raise money for our garden and for CORA Food Pan-try with a fall flower sale through FlowerPowerFun-draiser. The fundraiser starts now and will end October 15th. The link for ordering is:
Campaign | Flower Power Fundraising Website.
• Narconon would like to remind families that the use of addicting drugs is on the rise, take steps to protect your family from drug use. If you know anyone who is struggling with drug addiction get them the help they need. Call for a free brochure on the signs of addiction for all drugs. Narconon also offers free screenings and referrals. 800-431-1754 or DrugAbuseSolution.com
• The Effects of Unregulated Campaign Contributions – the Bill Moyers’ documentary, State of Conflict, will be shown on Sunday, September 14, at 2 p.m. at the Hillsborough Public Library, located at 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough (919) 245-2525. The showing of the documentary is free and open to the public. Moyers tells the story of how poorly regulated campaign contributions have brought about drastic changes in our state. A discussion following the film will be led by MacArthur Fellow Bob Hall, the Executive Director of Democracy North Carolina. Sponsored by the League of Women Voters ofOrange,Durham andChathamCounties.
• GriefShare: a helpful, encouraging 13-week seminar for people facing life after a loved one’s death. The seminar will begin at 6 p.m. on Monday, September 15, with weekly meetings each Monday for 13 weeks. Sessions will include a workbook (minimal cost applies), video presentation and a time for individual sharing and reflection. Sessions will be held in the EducationalBuildingat the Hospice of Randolph County campus located at 416 Vision Drive, Asheboro. For more information and to pre-register (by September 9), call 336-672-9300, or email Rodney Otwell at Rodney.Otwell@hospiceofRandolph.org.
• The League of Women Voters of Orange,DurhamandChathamCountiesinvite new and potential members to learn about the League and meet League volunteers on Saturday, September 13. An introductory luncheon will take place at the Sheraton Chapel Hill,One Europa Drive, at 12 noon. Charge for lunch will be payable at the event.
• New Hope Audubon Society September plans: Streamwatch; Saturday, September 6, 8 a.m.. John Kent will lead the New Hope Creek Streamwatch monitoring, a team that conducts monthly monitoring of the pollutants and microorganisms in the creek to gauge water quality. If interested in participating, contact John at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bird Walk: Saturday, September 6, 7 a.m.. Tom Driscoll will lead a walk of about 3 hours at a location to be determined. Meet at the Wild Bird Center in East Gate Shopping Center in Chapel Hill. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes for these walks, and use insect repellant. Bring water and snacks, if you wish. The trails will be mostly flat and easy to moderate in difficulty. If you have questions or need additional information, then please contact Tom at: spttdrdshnk@ yahoo.com