News and Events Around the County
• The public is invited to join us on July 26 from 12 noon to 3 as we celebrate the opening of Country Arms, located at 1730 East 11th Street inSilerCity. Regular store hours will be 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. A Ribbon Cutting will take place at 12 noon, with an Open House to follow. Courtesy of Country Arms, guests will be treated to barbeque, hotdogs, beverages and more. There will be several raffle drawings. Rock 92 will join us from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• The Chatham Chamber of Commerce is accepting applications, now through August 29, for the 2014-15 Class Year of the Leadership Chatham. The ninth year of the program will begin in September. LeadershipChathamis an innovative program designed to help develop informed, skilled and involved community leaders. Participants are involved in educational sessions that include tours related to many aspects ofChathamCounty. Sessions are scheduled one day a month, September through May, with graduation being held in June. To submit an application or request more information, contact the Chatham Chamber of Commerce office by phone at 919-742-3333 or by email at email@example.com.
• A special Sunday bonus performance of The Sword of Peace will be presented Sunday, July 27 at 7 p.m. at the Wilson Amphitheatre with church groups and seniors in mind. The Theatre is offering special discount prices for this performance for adults, seniors (60 and over), and children under 12 (plus entertainment tax). Discount rates are available for groups of 15 or more, per advance reservation. It also features a free self-guided tour of imported historical Quaker buildings and artifacts, as well as a regionally renowned on-site home cooking restaurant, Ye Old Country Kitchen, offering meals before curtain. The house opens at 6:30 p.m..
• Hospice of RandolphCountywill host an evening event focusing on “Coping with Traumatic Loss” on Tuesday, August 5 at 6 p.m.. Kellie Moran, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, will be the featured speaker. It will be held in the EducationalBuildingat the Hospice of Randolph campus located at 416 Vision Drive, Asheboro. Pre-register by August 1. For more information or to register for the session, interested persons should call Hospice of Randolph County at 336-672-9300, or email: info@hos piceofrandolph.org.
• Many Faces:North Carolina’s Face Jug Tradition will be the next temporary exhibition at theN.C.PotteryCenterin Seagrove. This exhibition will run from August 8 through October 25, and opens with a reception on Friday, August 8, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. The opening reception is open to the public and free of charge. The Center is located at233 East Avenuein Seagrove. The hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. For more information, call 336-873-8430, visit ncpotterycenter.org, or find us on Facebook.