News and Events Around the County
• The American Legion will meet Tuesday, November 24 at 6 p.m. at the Dry Dock Restaurant for its annual Veterans Day Meeting with a complete meal for a member and a guest.
• The Rocky River Coon Hunter’s “52nd Anniversary” Turkey Shoot will be held each Friday night in November at 7 p.m., just off 15-501 and Hwy 87, between Sanford and Pittsboro. Watch for signs!
• Be a part of Chatham County 2020: Getting Ahead of the Growth Curve, a Nonprofit for Chatham nonprofit leaders will be held Thursday, December 3 from 8:30 to 1:30 in the Multipurpose Room, CCCC, in Pittsboro. Morning refreshments and a hot lunch are included. The event is free for the first two representatives from each Chatham non-profit organization; fee applies for all others. To register, go to: http://www.eventbrite.com/o/onechatham-inc-8497778956?s. For any questions, write to: info@OneChatham.org.]
• The League of Women Voters of Orange, Durham and Chatham Counties and the Chapel Hill branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) are jointly hosting a discussion on Domestic and Gun Violence Against Women on Saturday November 21, 2015, at 10:30 a.m. at the Chapel Hill Public Library, Room A, 100 Library Drive in Chapel Hill. Several speakers will provide a vast array of knowledge on the subject. The program is free and open to the public. Free parking is available.
• Troxler announces availability of farmland preservation grants.
The application and guidelines for the current funding cycle are available at www.ncadfp.org/CycleIX.htm. Call 919-707-3072 with any questions. Applications are due by 5 p.m. on December 18.
• The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is accepting applications for the state’s Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) beginning December 1. For information, contact your local county Department of Social Services. A list of these offices and contact information is available at http://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/dss/local-county-social-services-offices.