News and Events Around the County
• The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has created an Ebola web page that provides information for the public and healthcare providers, updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fact sheets and a list of FAQs:http://www.ncdhhs.gov/ebola/It also incorporates the newly opened Ebola public information line established by Carolinas Poison Center. The number is 1-800-222-1222, and citizens should press 6 for questions about Ebola.
• Anna and Elsa of the Disney movie Frozen will visit Pittsboro to celebrate Child Care Networks’ 30th Birthday during the October 25 Street Fair. The princesses will be available from noon to 4 p.m. to take pictures with children for a small charge. For more information, contact Child Care Networks at 919-542-6644.
• The 26th Annual Hunger Walk in Chatham County to benefit CORA Food Pantry will be Sunday, November 2 in Pittsboro. Teams and individual walkers are encouraged to participate by raising funds from friends and family, and taking the one- or three-mile walk. Registration begins at 1:30 p.m., and walk starts at 2:30. Participation qualifies for student community service credit. For participation information, contact hunger email@example.com or call 919-545-3030.
• Chatham Community Business Showcase, October 28, from 12 noon to 5:30 at Pittsboro Ford, 1245 Thompson Street. Open to the public – no admission. Health screenings, fitness activities, games, Fatal Vision Goggles Experience, courtesy services, taste samples throughout the day, and door prizes every hour.
• Pittsboro Serenity Seekers Al-Anon Family Group meets Mondays at 7 p.m. at St. Bartholomew Episcopal Church. Contact Jennifer at 914-213-9323 for more information. The church is located at 204 West Salisbury Street, Pittsboro. Park on Rectory Streetand enter through side door, meeting is in the Fellowship Hall. Al-Anon is a group for friends and families of alcoholics. www.alanonalateen6nc.org.
• Horton High School Alumni Association will meet Saturday, November 8, at 10 a.m.,HortonMiddle School,Suite813, Pittsboro.
• The Youth and College Division of the West Chatham Branch of the NAACP is sponsoring a Voter Empowerment Session on Tuesday, October 28, at 7 p.m. at Corinth AME Zion Church. Our guest presenter is the Rev. Kenneth Swann, Pastor of Evan’s Chapel AME Zion Church. At this critical time in our lives, we all need to be informed. We are encouraging everyone to come out in support of this endeavor.