News and Events Around the County
• The Siler City American Legion will meet on Tuesday, May 26 for its annual Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day meeting at the Dry Dock restaurant at 6:30 for a meal at the expense of the Post. All members are invited along with their spouses or guests are welcome.
• NC Cooperative Extension’s Chatham County Center invites you to learn how to grow and use culinary herbs in your garden and kitchen at an upcoming workshop to be held in Pittsboro. The class will be taught at the Chatham Extension Center on Tuesday, June 2, from 10 a.m. until noon, and repeated on Wednesday June 3 from 6 to 8 p.m. Pre-registration is required by May 26, along with the fee of five dollars per participant. For complete details, and to download a registration form, ncsu.edu/upcoming-workshop or call NC Cooperative Extension’sChathamCountyCenter at 919-542-8202.
• The Carolina Mountain Dulcimers will meet on Thursday, May 21, at the Carol Woods Retirement Community in Chapel Hillat 7 p.m. Beginners, experts, and all stringed instruments welcome. For more information and directions, contact Shirley Ray at ShirleyRay@aol.com or 919-929-5359.
• W.E.C.H.A.N. May Wellness Walk 2015 – will be held at RockRidgeParkin Pittsboro, 1397 Old Sanford Road, Moncure. Registration at 8:30 a.m. and walk begins at 9. Save on registration by registering early. Register individually or as team!! (1st 50 people registered will get free t-shirt.) Register online at register.sportoften.com, (search Wellness Walk 2015 on May 30).
• Join the Council on Aging for Tennis and Pickleball on May 26th from 2-4 pm at the Pittsboro Courts. For more information, contact Allison at (919) 542-4512.
• There will be a Fraud Seminar, open to the public on Thursday, May 21 from 6-7 p.m. at the Chatham Community Library. David Kirkman, Special Deputy Attorney General with the NC Department of Justice, will share information and answer your questions. Event sponsored by the Chatham Council on Aging, Chatham Department of Social Services, Chatham Sheriff’s Office, Chatham Advocacy for Senior’s Seniors Team. Please call (919) 542-4512 with questions
• Next Diabetic Support Group Meeting on May 26 at 2 p.m. at thePittsboroSeniorCenter. For more information, contact Susan at (919) 542-4512.
• Chatham Habitat for Humanity in Pittsboro, is looking for volunteers to help build at the current location, 613 West 5th Street in Siler City. Work days are Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday from 8:30 to 3:30 with an hour for lunch. Summer work hours will begin Wednesday, June 3, from 8 to 12:30 p.m. until September 2. If you’re looking for an opportunity to meet new friends and learn new skills, or if you would like to schedule a group to come out on Saturday, contact Mechelle Thompson at 919-542-0794 ext 228 to offer your volunteer services.