News and Events Around the County
• The Council on Aging is planning their 27th annual Bake-Off on Sunday, February 8 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Eastern Senior Center in Pittsboro. Bakers can register to enter their favorite delicious chocolate cake or cheesecake no later than Wednesday, February 4 by 5 p.m. To enter, call Megan Coggins at 919-542-4512 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Come be part of the Career Fair!, Chatham County on Friday, February 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CCCC, Pittsboro Campus, Building 41, 2nd Floor. There will be up to ten local companies, up to ten community services taking part, along with on-site registration for NC Works. Open to everyone. Sponsored by Central Carolina Community College, www.cccc.edu.
• New HopeAudubon Membership Meeting: February 5, at 7 p.m. at the NC Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill. Nick Flanders, a NC State researcher, will give a presentation on “Alcids: Ecology and Management in the Northwest Atlantic”. Alcid is the bird family that includes puffins, auks, and murres. Everyone, whether a member or not, is welcome.
• Snow Camp Historical Drama Society, Inc. will hold their annual Brunswick stew and Chili beans sale – just in time for the big game! It will take place on Saturday, January 31. Brunswick Stew and Chili Beans will be sold by the quart and will be on sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Burlington Sporting Goods,2233 Hanford Road and at the Shoffner Building, 301 Drama Road. Reserve yours by calling 336-376-6948. All funds will support the opening of the 2015 summer season.
• Horton High School Alumni Association will meet Saturday, February 14, at 10 a.m., at Horton Middle School, Suite 813, Pittsboro.
• There will be a Legal Aid Know-Your-Rights workshop, “Do-It-Yourself Custody Workshop” on Tuesday, February 10 at 2:30 p.m. at the Legal Aid of NC,959 East Street, Suite A&B, Pittsboro. Call 919-542-0475 the day before clinic to confirm that there are no changes. Attendance is open to the public at no cost.
• Get Covered…Stay Covered…with health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. Call today for a free in-person Navigator assistor appointment through Legal Aid of NC, Inc. 1-855-733-3711, 1-919-542-0475, or 1-800-672-5834. Chatham County locations: Chatham Council on Aging in Siler City; Legal Aid of NC, Inc in Pittsboro, by appointment only. Enrollment is open until February 15.
• Chatham County Council on Aging has scheduled an eight-week program, A Matter of Balance, to help seniors address concerns about falling. The Eastern Chatham Senior Center Class will be held on Wednesdays starting February 11 from 2 to 4 p.m.
The location is365 NC Hwy87N, Pittsboro. For information or to register, call Allison Andrews at 919-542-4512. Class size is limited, so call to reserve your space.